Sunday, October 25, 2009

Teaching 6000+ miles away

Some of you may know that I did a couple of Skype webchats with some 6th graders last year. One of my best friends, Genie Scruton, transferred to Mill Creek Elementary this year and has asked me to continue the webchats. With the support and approval of her new principal, John Bartel (another former colleague), we started again this year. I got the opportunity to talk to the kids about my experiences here in Egypt, how schools compare, what food is like (I can get McDonald's delivered 24/7!), and insights into Egyptian culture such as Ramadan (holy month of fasting). We even made the front page of the Shawnee Mission School District's website for a couple days! You can see the article by clicking on this sentence. Check out the pictures - I've never been on a big screen before - must have been kinda scary looking!! Anyway, I had a great time talking to the kids and look forward to more. Thanks Genie & John!!!

2 comments:

Genie said...

Thank you! The kids had a blast! We'll have to find another time before winter break to talk again.

tbone said...

Thats really awesome. I know our boys keep asking a lot of questions about where you are and and the types of food and stuff. Pretty cool.